Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Summer Display!



We are deep in the trenches of testing, but I am still working at getting students in the library to check out some great books.  I am only open in the morning (before school), during our first lunch session, and after school, so I'm sure circulation will be down a bit this month.  I've spent my non-teaching days creating some new displays.  My favorite is the beach reads display.  Because the students can only check out books for the next three weeks or so, I figured now was a good time to get the summer books out.





Not the greatest picture I know, but I love the beachy accents!  In order to set this up, we covered the table with brown butcher paper and used aqua bandanas as accents.  I also purchased a few things on sale from Hobby Lobby (an umbrella, sand bucket, welcome figurine, palm trees, and an inspirational sign.



Now...for the books.  I LOVE walking through the shelves and finding books for displays.  For this particular theme, I tried to choose books that I would want to read while stretched out on the white sand, the sound of surf pounding and the feel of the sun on my (heavily sunscreened!) skin.  Most of the books are "light," but I chose a few books with deep messages.  Here is my list....

*Lucky by Rachel Vail
*Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner
*That Summer by Sarah Dessen
*Girl at Sea by Maureen Johnson
*Tangled by Carolyn Mackler
*The Clique Summer Collection
*The Postcard by Tony Abbott
*Love and Peaches by Jody Lynn Anderson
*Girlfriend Material by Melissa Kantor
*The Christy Miller Collection (volume 1) by Robin Jones Gunn
*L. A. Candy by Lauren Conrad
*Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer
*Rosie and Skate by Beth Ann Bauman
*The Last Summer of You and Me by Ann Brashares
*Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler
*North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley
*Viola in Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani
*I Was a Non-Blonde Cheerleader by Kieran Scott
*Breathless by Lurlene McDaniel

What are some things you like to read in the summer?  Any suggestions for things I could add to the display?