Friday, October 1, 2010

Book #10

Finally...I'm in the double-digits.  I DO realize that I must finish 90 more books by the middle of May in order to reach my goal of 100 books this school year.  It can be done....

Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

I know, I know...everyone else has already read this.  I tried to read this a few years ago and for some reason, it did not appeal to me.  Maybe it's the whole "end of the world" theme...anyway, I chose this as the October selection for my high school book club and I really liked it. 

A meteor crashes into the moon, sending the large object closer to Earth, thus affecting the moon's gravitational pull.  There are tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanoes and the results are catastrophic.  Miranda, through entries in her journal, tells the story of how the climate change, famine, and lack of communication from outside her Pennsylvania town affects her and the relationships she has with friends and family. 

Although this topic seems to be a little overdone, Pfeffer gives the reader a unique look at the after-effects of disaster.  At times, Miranda is a typical self-absorbed teenage, but she is also a loving person and selfless when she needs to be.  Her relationship with her mother is a little strained; however, she is able to look past that to see how much her family means to her.  Again, I truly enjoyed this book and will give it to many readers.

Recommended for: Adventurous teens or those interested in science and the future

Rating: 4 stars