Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chaos....

In the past few weeks, I have been dealing with packing, trying to move, a book fair, Thanksgiving, three children (one of whom is sickly), and the end of a very successful school football season.  Needless to say, I am exhausted.  Also, I am falling short on my 100 book goal for this school year.  I should be nearing the halfway point soon, but, sadly, I've only read 16 books!!  Once I finally get settled (if that ever happens), I am locking myself in a room and doing nothing but reading.  Anyway, here are books 15 and 16...

Radiance by Alyson NoeI have to say that this was a ridiculously quick read (my fave kind!) and I must admit that I have not read the Immortals series, also by Alyson Noel.  This short novel shows what happens to Riley Bloom, a young teen, after she and her family are in a car accident.  Riley's sister, Ever, remains in the land of the living, while Riley and her parents are in the afterlife.  Riley regrets making the decision to join her parents and longs to be alive.  She is assigned a job as a Soul Catcher, where she is required to encourage "lost" souls to travel to the afterlife. 

This book is an interesting one, but I felt like I would be more "invested" in Riley as a character if I had read the Immortals series.  Those will now be placed on my WTR (Want to Read) list.  Have any of you read this series?  What did you think?

Recommended for: Fans of books about the dead/undead, students looking for a quick read

Rating: 3 Stars

Brain Camp by Susan Kim, Laurence Klavan, and Faith Erin Hicks

Okay...I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels, but I read so many fantastic reviews of this book that I thought I'd give it a try.  Surprise, surprise--it was thoroughly enjoyable.  I might be a graphic fan after all...
The story involves two kids who, not living up to their parents' expectations, have been sent to Camp Fielding, an educational summer camp.  When they get there, they notice that things don't seem quite right.  Not only are the kids mean, the counselors rigid, and the schedules grueling, but some of the campers seem to be really strange.  I won't spoil it for you, but it does involve alien/bird creatures and some awful people.  I liked it:)

Recommended for: Lovers of graphic novels, students who appreciate things that are "different"

Rating: 4.5 stars

Now...to finish packing, moving, taking care of children, working, etc....:)